Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Loving Valentine's Day...yet single?



Grocery stores are being peppered with pink and red candies. Hallmark seems to have birthed an entire new aisle of cards for the occasion, while flower stores are amping up for the sudden surge that's about to hit them.

And I'm sure every year around this time you hear the jokes and bitterness that seem to surface by those who are without a significant other.

'Happy Singles Awareness Day,' you hear them say, with cynicism in their voice that I'm sure makes all married or dating people want to avoid them at all costs.

I have a secret confession.

I absolutely LOVE Valentine's Day. And guess what? I'm single!

No, I didn't write this blog post to condemn any single person who's ever felt left out during this time of year. Nor did I write it to come across as if I have it all together. I would be lying if I told you there were not times that have been more difficult than others. When many of my friends are already experiencing parenthood, it's easy to put my life next to theirs and, with not even a boyfriend in sight, begin to question the Lord.

You know, God, I'm not getting any younger.

My childbearing years aren't going to last forever.

As if God doesn't know my current circumstance or what is best for me. Silly, when you stop and think about it, I know!

But that's exactly what we do.

However, I know God's ways and His timing is perfect. And I know He's working, even in the waiting.

Perhaps, friend, God is working in you in ways that will prepare you to be a better wife. A better mother. And I know I'm speaking to the ladies (since that's the only perspective I can attest to), but it's the same for you single guys as well.

God has taught me some things during this time of my life that I would love to share with other singles out there that might change not only the way you view Valentine's Day, but how you look at your relationship status altogether.

God is the only One who can truly satisfy you.

Even if God were to send you a boyfriend/husband today (or girlfriend/wife for all the guys), this person will never be able to fill the place of your Savior. The joy. The peace. The abundant life. It all comes from having a personal, intimate relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. And no matter how many lies the world tries to cram down your throat, you will never experience that by trying to put another individual in the place designed only for your Creator.

Is marriage wrong then? Absolutely NOT. God ordained the institution of marriage and said it's a good thing. But when we take this good thing and place it over the BEST thing, we've created an idol and have set ourselves up for a life of discontentment.

Don't let God's love for you be dependent upon whether or not you have a significant other.

I doubt many have you have actually verbally done this. But if we get down to the core of our heart and thoughts, I think many of us (you can't see me, but I've got my hand raised as well) have questioned God's love for us during our time of singleness.

Everyone else is married, or at least in a relationship. God must love them more than He loves me. Why else would He be withholding that from me?

Friend, God's love for all of us was displayed at Calvary. John 3:16 says, 'For God so lovED the world.' The loved is past tense, which points back to a particular time and place. That time and place is the cross. God's love for us shouldn't be measured by our present circumstances - married or unmarried. Instead, we should always look to the cross as the measuring stick of God's love. Even if you don't feel like it, you are LOVED!

Don't put your life on hold while waiting for a significant other.

If you are His child, God has called all of us to be in full time Christian service. Sure, we might not all be called to be missionaries or pastors' wives. But we are all called to love God, to obey Him, and to share His truth with a lost and dying world. Don't waste this time of singleness saying you'll start serving God when you get married. Now is the time. God could open up doors for you that can only be fulfilled during this particular season of your life. And I'm pretty sure that if you aren't serving God now, a wedding band around your finger isn't suddenly going to make you change your ways.

Expressing your love isn't confined to a significant other.

I think many times single people don't like Valentine's Day because they automatically think that only people in a relationship can enjoy this holiday. Love isn't confined between a husband and a wife or a boyfriend and girlfriend. I have so many people in my life that I can truly say I love. Why can't I send them a card letting them know how much they mean to mean to me? What's stopping me from sending flowers to someone who's impacted my life in a special way?

I challenge you, single readers, to do something like this for someone special in your life. You'll be surprised how good it will make you feel. (And I'm positive the person on the receiving end will be blessed!)

So, friend, February 14th is coming. You can allow Satan to stir up bitterness in you towards those who are in a relationship. Or, you can embrace it head on and use it for God's glory.

As for me, I choose the latter. After all, I love Valentine's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment