Saturday, July 12, 2014

Life After The Storm


While my parents have been out of town, I've been tending to my dad's garden. And I must say, I've gained a whole new appreciation for the amount of work that goes into them. I'm sure the next piece of squash or freshly sliced tomato that hits my mouth will suddenly be juicier and more delicious than ever!

And if you've spent any amount of time around me, you will know that I love me some fried okra.

Mmmm. I bet your mouth is watering even now as you're reading this isn't it? (If it's not, either one of two things is going on: you're crazy or you're a Yankee.)

This afternoon as I finished making my rounds up and down the rows, the Lord spoke to my heart. As I was carrying the heavy bucket of fresh produce back to the house, He reminded me of the power of a storm.

You see, a couple days ago, I had done the exact same thing. I put my rubber boots on, grabbed the same orange pail, and went to pick the ripe veggies. And, although I got a fair amount of squash and cucumbers, I only got one piece of okra that was big enough. Just one.



But today, that was not the case. I had a hand full.



Although that might not seem like much, when compared to just one piece from a few days ago, you can see why I was excited.

And that's when God reminded me it was all because of the storms. You see, last night it rained. And it thundered. And there was lightning. And then it rained some more. All. Night. Long.

But fruit came from that storm. Something good was the end product.

And that's the same way in our lives as Christians.

Sure, no one likes to go through storms. It's never fun when you're in the midst of life's turmoil. But how much easier it is to rest in the fact that God is working. When we're down at the bottom, Christ is up to something.

(Disclaimer: there are certain trials in a Christian's life that are the result of sin and disobedience. God is trying to bring you to repentance through those difficulties. Those are not the type of storms I am referring to here.)

In Matthew 14, we see the disciples out on a boat in the middle of a storm. The wind was howling and the waves were tossing the boat. But perhaps we often miss the 'fruit' that was produced as a result of this storm.

Matthew 14:33 states, 'Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God.'

True worship.

It took a storm in their lives to produce a worship so real and genuine, leading to a greater understanding in their lives of who God was. An understanding that, without the storm experience, they might never have received.

A miracle.

During the storm, Jesus walked on water. I know, if you're like me, you've grown up in Sunday school hearing this Biblical account so much that the very act of defying gravity does not even amaze you anymore. But it truly was a miracle. And, without the storm, they may have never witnessed it.

And an ever greater promise than the expectation of coming fruit is that Christ will never leave us during these storms. (Hebrews 13:5)

So, perhaps you're going through a storm right now. Or maybe one is just around the corner. Just know that God is using them to produce fruit in your life.

Maybe you'll witness a miracle. Or maybe you'll gain a more intimate knowledge of God and obtain a true heart of worship.

Either way, those should be areas of comfort and hope while the storms are raging.

Just as I can enjoy a plate full of fried okra as a direct result of the rain, so too can I take comfort in the fact that life will be sweeter when the storms subside.








No comments:

Post a Comment