Monday, April 28, 2014

Real Love Is Confrontational


Confrontation. 

The mere mention of the word makes me uncomfortable.

I've always been a people pleaser. A 'yes' person, so to speak - even if it meant doing something I didn't want to or taking on an additional task or assignment when my work load was already full.

One summer I took a babysitting job I didn't want to simply because I couldn't bring myself to tell the parents no!

Pathetic, right?

I know that may seem like a trivial example that plays no significant role in the grand scheme of life. (Hey, if anything, it was good preparation for motherhood!) But I'm afraid the fear of confrontation has spilled over into more meaningful areas of my life, namely being more bold in my efforts to share the Gospel message with a lost and dying world.

What if they think I'm judging them?

What if they stop talking to me?

What if it creates an uncomfortable situation?

The problem with all of these questions is that they are saturated in pride. The focus is on me rather than on the Savior who died for them. The real question that should be daily burdening my soul is, Where will they spend eternity if they don't meet Jesus?!

God showed me something a few days ago that really opened my eyes. It's this...real love is confrontational.

Jesus Christ Himself was a very confrontational person. He confronted individuals with their sin.  And in doing so, His love was not minimized in the slightest bit. If anything, it was during these times that it shone brightest. 

In Mark chapter 10, Jesus tells of a rich young ruler who came to Him asking how he could inherit eternal life. This man considered himself to be a good person, as indicated in his response to all of the areas of the law he had not broken. Verse 21 says:

Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, and sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

This isn't teaching a works-based salvation. But before this man, or anyone else for that matter, could accept the Gospel, he had to recognize his need. Jesus saw how he trusted in the observance of a set of rules. As a result, his need was for Christ to confront him with the one thing he lacked.

But the part that stands out to me the most is what preceded Christ's confrontation.

Then Jesus....loved him!

Oftentimes, confrontation has a negative connotation. And I'm sure our politically correct society does not help with this at all. After all, we can't truly love someone if we don't agree with them, right?

Wrong.

I'm so thankful that Jesus Christ was confrontational with me. At the age of nine years old, He showed me I was a sinner, lost without Him, and on my way to Hell. And that was the GREATEST act of love I've ever been shown in my entire life!

What a perfect example to follow.  

Lord, help me to be bold. Help me to be confrontational. Help me to love. 






2 comments:

  1. AMEN !!

    Lord help us to be like you, on how to confront others with LOVE :)

    keep writing sister :)

    ReplyDelete