Tuesday, January 7, 2014

2014: A Year For His Glory

 

2014. Really, already? 

I will probably be dating myself but doesn’t it seem like just yesterday that talks of Y2K were circulating? (On a side note, I remember this store not far from my house that opened specifically for the purpose of selling items to prepare for the panic that was sure to set in once the computers crashed at midnight on December 31, 1999.)

It’s funny looking back on that now.

But whether it’s the start of 2000 or the start of 2014, one thing that’s common is talks of resolutions, or goals.

I’ve actually never been one to create goals for the new year. I’m not sure why. The Bible says, ‘Where there is no vision, the people perish:’ (Prov. 29:18). 

This year, the Lord has been working on me about not only writing down goals, but developing a purpose statement for my life. And it’s centered around this one verse: 

Revelation 4:11 ‘Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou has created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.’ 

That’s it. That’s why I was created. My life, my goals, my purpose - they should all be about bringing my Lord and Savior glory. 

I want this year to be the best year yet. What about you friends? 

And whatever you do, please don’t let the fear of failure stop you from making this year great. Don’t let last year’s failed resolutions scare you into thinking you won’t be able to keep this year’s! 

I was recently reading in Genesis how Abraham - an amazing man of faith - slipped into sin. God had just given him this incredible promise of future blessing and yet, right after this promise, Abraham lied. But the thing that stuck out to me the most was what Abraham did after he messed up. He returned ‘unto the place of the altar, which he had made there at the first:’ (Genesis 13:4). 

He could have dwelt on his sin and decided there was no point in moving forward. He could have had a pity party for himself.

Instead, he chose to return to the original place he first met with God, seek forgiveness, and move forward in His walk with the Lord. 

Pilgrims, let that be your attitude this year! Whatever your goals or resolutions are, may you seek to bring Him the glory that He deserves. And  if  when you mess up, return to the place of your original commitment. 2014 is here. Let’s make the most of it - for His glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment